I am freelance print and photojournalist passionately covering topics on human rights, trials at international tribunals, transitional justice, humanitarian crises and underreported social issues.
I am based in Warsaw, where I focus on Poland’s political scene and regularly collaborate with The Wall Street Journal’s correspondent for Central & Eastern Europe.
But you can also often find me in East or West Africa interviewing victims of wars and social injustice.
I gained most of my professional experience while working in countries, which are either struggling to recover from various armed conflicts, or are at the bottom of the Human Development Index, with a significant percentage of its citizens living in extreme poverty.
I always strive to explore the complexity behind a given topic and aim to portray the fates of those who are victims of larger systems and whose voices are often ignored.
This approach is reflected in my portfolio which features articles on: female genocidaires from Rwanda, Polish LGBT communities, Uganda’s former child soldiers, Ghana’s street children, Accra’s slum communities facing forced evictions, and also a variety of in-depth features on Liberian, Ukrainian, Syrian and South Sudanese refugees.
My work has appeared in: The Wall Street Journal, BBC, The New Humanitarian, Euronews, Al Jazeera English, Middle East Eye, Thomson Reuters Foundation, The Economist, GlobalPost and Tygodnik Powszechny amongst others.
- MSc in International Crimes and Criminology: VU University Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- BA in Communication Science: Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (LMU Munich), Munich, Germany
- Postgraduate diploma in Criminalistics: University of Wroclaw, Wrocław, Poland
Grants and academic scholarships:
- Erich-Brost-Institut (Germany): Research Grant – Journalism in Global Context
- Robert Bosch Foundation (Germany): September School on Media and Migration in Rabat, Morocco
- The International Institute of Humanitarian Law (Italy): Course – Journalists, Law and Rights in War
- VU Fellowship Programme (The Netherlands): Scholarship for academic achievements
- Hanns-Seidel Foundation (Germany): Scholarship for excellent academic performance
- Fluent: English, German, Polish
- Beginner: French, Swahili